December 14, 2015
By

$7.6 million boosting K-12 tuition assistance, clergy and lay leader education, evangelization efforts

CLT-AOD-Priority-Funding-carousel

Presently, $7.6 million donated by parishioners through their parish Changing Lives Together campaigns is now at work making Catholic schools more affordable, providing training and education opportunities for clergy and laity, and furthering urban evangelization initiatives.

Launched in 2010, the Changing Lives Together Capital Stewardship Initiative is primarily strengthening Catholic parishes throughout southeast Michigan. Through March 2016, pledges of more than $120 million have been made by 76,578 individuals and families to Changing Lives Together parish campaigns. A minimum of 70 percent of funds received through these pledges have fulfilled parish-identified priorities, with the remaining 30 percent allocated to three archdiocesan-wide priorities and for campaign expenses. Through March 2016, distributions for archdiocesan priorities include:

  • $4,226,250 invested in the Archdiocese of Detroit Endowment Foundation to augment tuition assistance to qualifying families with children in K-12 Catholic schools in southeast Michigan. Since its inception in 1994 this endowment has provided more than $45 million in K-12 tuition assistance in the Archdiocese of Detroit.
  • $2,254,450 for priestly formation as well as clergy and lay leadership development. These funds are invested in the Archdiocese of Detroit Endowment Foundation for tuition assistance to qualifying students pursuing continuing education, certificates, and degrees at Sacred Heart Major Seminary in Detroit and other institutions.
  • $1,127,300 to strengthen parish-based evangelization ministries in Detroit, Hamtramck, and Highland Park. The pastors of parishes in these communities are being consulted as to the best uses of these funds. At the recommendation of pastors, one use for approximately $50,000 of these funds is to provide financial assistance enabling the pastors and leadership teams of financially challenged parishes to attend the April 2016 Amazing Parish Conference in Detroit.

As pledges to Changing Lives Together are paid, funds are proportionally distributed – 70 percent to the parish, 30 percent to the Archdiocese. When Changing Lives Together pledges are fulfilled above the parish goal, the parish retains 100 percent of the funds received. If parish campaigns fall short of the goal, funds potentially available for parish priorities and those for the archbishop’s initiatives are reduced. When parishes exceed their goal, the three archdiocesan-wide priorities do not receive additional funds; rather, those funds are applied to parish initiatives.