July 31, 2013
By

Southwest Detroit parishes prioritize financial stability, begin merger planning

At St. Stephen/Mary, Mother of the Church, parishioners have pledged nearly $166,000, surpassing the archdiocesan goal and nearing a higher target set by parish leaders.


Detroit — One-half mile from each other in southwest Detroit, Our Lady Queen of Angels Parish and St. Stephen / Mary Mother of Our Church Parish have withstood decades of economic, demographic and social change. Founded respectively in 1915 and 1917, both parishes have taken a step forward in financial stability through Changing Lives Together campaigns launched in March this year.

The successful Changing Lives Together efforts are also providing an important backdrop as lay leaders and their pastor, Fr. Marie-Elie Haby, begin preparing a merger plan to be submitted to Auxiliary Bishop Donald Hanchon this fall. The parishes are currently clustered under the pastoral leadership of Fr. Haby, who has served as pastor of both for the past two years. Through the cluster arrangement, the parishes have separate identities, staffs, finances and ministries while they share the pastoral leadership of Fr. Haby, assisted by Fr. Bernardo Cruz, associate pastor.

Read full article at TheMichiganCatholic.com


Changing Lives Together is a series of parish campaigns to generate resources to fulfill parish-developed plans and priorities. Learn more about the initiative in your parish.